North West Information Directory
Mahikeng is the capital city of the North West and is historically known for the Maﬁkeng Siege (1899) during the Anglo-Boer/South African War. Potchefstroom, Klerksdorp, Rustenburg and Brits are the economic hubs of the North West. Tourists are attracted to this province for its game reserves, national park and the world-famous Sun City. Accommodation in the North West province gives tourists such a wide variety of choices, grades and affordability. See the accommodation directory for a list of advertisers across the North West.
Businesses and Mining in the North West
Rustenburg and Brits produce over 90% of South Africa’s platinum, earning the North West its nickname of being the “platinum province”. The North West produces a quarter of South Africa's gold along with granite and diamonds.
Platinum mining continues with substantial reserves of metal still being available. The increase in world demand for platinum has seen to the increase in prices in the last few years which is good news for the income of the North West! The business directory provides a comprehensive list of business advertisers, alternatively add your free business listing.
North West’s Tourism
Famous and popular centres in the North West are the following:
Sun City is one of the world's biggest entertainment centres - a whole city on its own. There is a casino, an 18-hole golf course, theatres and concert halls, beaches and even a wave pool at the Valley of the Waves. Sun City also encompasses a fantastically reconstructed tropical rainforest - a wonderful experience for tourists. There are a number of world-class hotels that include the remarkable Palace of the Lost City.
Pilanesberg National Park
Pilanesberg is an ideal and exciting safari destination, situated in the crater of an extinct volcano, close to the cities of Pretoria and Johannesburg. It has some great game viewing and affordable accommodation. Owing to its rare rock types and structure, Pilanesberg rates high amongst the world's outstanding geological phenomena.
Another of the province's popular attractions is Hartbeespoort Dam, located in the heart of the Magaliesburg, this area is known for its fun times and leisure activities. Here tourists can enjoy a range of water sports and general activities from fishing, canoeing, paragliding, hangliding to hot-air ballooning.
Madikwe Game Reserve
Madikwe Game Reserve is one of South Africa's prime safari destinations with the park home to over 60 large mammal species and includes the Big Five. The endangered Wild Dog can be found at this reserve which is also famous for its African Wild Dog research. A perfect holiday for birdwatchers, Madikwe has approximately 300 resident and migrant bird species.
World Heritage Sites in North West
Two of South Africa’s UNESCO World Heritage sites are located in the North West province:
- The Taung Skull Fossil Site where the Taung Skull was found in 1924. Other fossils found here go back as far as 4.5 million years, with the site receiving international recognition.
- The Vredefort Dome is the oldest meteorite impact structure on Earth, which is estimated to date back over 2 million years.
Things to do and see in the North West
The North West is the proud host of some of South Africa’s most interesting and exciting activities and tourist attractions. A list of advertisers can be found under the activities directory with only some of the activities and things to do listed below:
- Air Sports – Magaliesburg is popular for hangliding and hot-air balloon flights. Other popular venues for air sports include Pilanesberg, Hartbeespoort Dam and Mafikeng.
- Golf – Signature golf courses designed by famous golfers Gary Player and Jack Nicklaus - Mafikeng, Hartbeespoort Dam and Sun City
- Art Routes – Travel the arts and crafts routes - Rustenburg and Magliesburg Arts and Crafts Ramble and the Crocodile Ramble (near Hartbeespoort)
- Hartbeesfontein Gold Mine (Stilfontein)
- Taste Mampoer (local liqueurs) (nr Rustenburg)
- Kaditshwene Ruins (nr Zeerust)